What kind of parent leaves their young toddler inside the house unattended so that he/she can go outside for a smoke? Anything could happen--the child could stick their finger in a light socket, crawl into the bathroom and go head first into the toilet, or....even pull a lamp on top of themself.
What kind of parent puts his/her young children in a car without safety seats--reguardless of who's driving or how far they were planning to go?
What kind of parent keeps his/her child up till 11:00 at night just so they can sleep in and then chastises the child for being fussy and irritable when obviously the child is only acting like that because he/she is tired and needs to go to sleep? Didn't Britney Spears get a lot of crap over this same issue?
And then in the morning bring the wide-awake child into bed with them while they fall back asleep....where the child could easily crawl off the bed and become injured?
What kind of parent goes to the doctor immediately when he/she is sick, but yet, won't take his/her own child--who has been sick for several days--to the doctor? And, yes, I know that here lately doctors are very reluctant to give prescription medicine to young children, but if something has been going on for several days and is obviously not getting any better, wouldn't a responsible parent at least take her child in to get an opinion from a medical professional?
What kind of parents are too lazy to clean their house...so lazy that unwahed dishes sit in the sink or on the computer desk for so long that they start growing mold? They do know that mold can become an air-born pathogen, right? And this can cause health problems, such as asthma, in a young child.
What kind of parents would do this, might you ask? Let me tell you....teenage parents. These are all events or expereinces I have either seen myself or heard about from reliable sources that different parents I know have done. Some are teenagers and some started out as teenage parents but are now several years older....in my opinion, the worst of the two are the ones who have had time to become better parents, but yet, several years later they still haven't learned to make smart, responsible decision reguarding their children.
Why do teenagers make such bad parents...my opinion is...and this might hurt some feelings, but it's my blog...enough said. The number one reason why teenagers do not make good parents is because they do not know how to put their children's needs before their own....in esscense, they are self-centered--as most teenagers are. They do what they want when they want even if it's not in the best interest for their child. They do whatever will make them happy or more comfortable reguardless of how it will affect their child. They put their needs and wants first...before anyone else...even their own child. In doing and thinking like this, teenage parents make stupid, irresponsible....and in my opinion....crappy decisions and choices involving their children which can put the child's health and/or safety at risk.
Some teenagers think it's all fun and games to start a family this early, but they don't realize how difficult being a parent can actually be and the responsibility that goes along with it. I think there are very few teenagers out there who are mature enough to realize that when you have a baby, your life...your schedule...your choices and decisions now revolve around that child....not the other way around. Now I'm not doubting that they don't love their children...I know all the parents I'm thinking about while writing this love their children just as much as I love my own; however, unlike me or other mature responsible parents, teenage parents do not put their child's needs or wants above their own which, again, making decisions involving your child based on your own wants and/or needs can and will put your child's health and/or safety at risk. Even some of the teenage parents who are now several years older....who have had time to grow, learn, and mature....have still failed to realize this fact.
Of course, not all teenage parents are like this; there are a few out there who are good parents or learned and became good parents, so I feel like I should speak out on their behalf. I have a very close friend who I have known for many, many, many years....she is a year younger than me and already has three kids....growing up, I never would have imagined that she would have that many before I would, LOL! She did begin parenthood as a teenage mom and it was rough the first couple of years, but now she is one of the most amazing mothers I know. Actually, she is one of the two people I call (the other would be my sister) when I need advice concerning my own child or have questions about parenthood.
What is even crazier about the majority of these teenage parents is that they actually think they are some of the best parents out there....the world's greatest mom or dad! They don't understand why society views them as such bad parents....why adults think teenagers should not be parents....like the world has some sort of hidden agenda to give teenage parents a bad rap....sorta baffles the mind, doesn't it? Just because you can have sex and procreate does not make you a responsible adult.....or even a good parent.
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I completely agree!!! Wow...seems like something or should I say SOMEONE struck a nerve! LOL! How's everything going?
a couple of people, actually....just thought it needed to be put out there in hopes that they will change their actions for the sake of their children.
Post a Comment